Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Final nine project


Lesson Nine Final Project: Personal Application
Health and wellness professionals should find it important to develop psychologically, spiritually, and physically.  Listening to your patients is key to solving the problem and if the health professional is not whole how can he or she effectively listen.  After listening is when it is good to incorporate taking the parts; mind, body, and spirit by breaking them down individually.  This process will help to fix each part so that a person can resume feeling completely whole once again.  All three are linked together to make an endless circle.  If a link is broken then it is easy to feel off balance.  To be able to teach from experience is a lot easier to guide clients in the right direction to help themselves.  The one true thing that will help all human beings is finding their own inner strength.  Practitioners are there to guide the person by listening and truly hearing where the healing is needed.  According to Dacher, “I always remind my fellow practitioners that the moment they close their office door, the moment they are face-to-face with another individual, there is always a precious opportunity for open heartedness, loving-kindness, empathetic listening, and presence (2006).”  One cannot accomplish this if they are ill themselves because it can cloud your interpretation of healing someone else.  With this I need to examine myself.  I have found that with it being winter I have let all of my aspects go.  Therefore I need goals, plans of action, and a way to assess my progress.
Winter is hard for most by losing motivation and also it is easier for the mind to become depressed.  That is why trying to go outside everyday even if it is shoveling is getting the blood moving, can promote healing.  Depression is a dark and unkind presents that enters the mind and affects everything in the person.  Again the only way to break this monster is by the patient themselves coming to the conclusion that they have control over their own body.  But as the health practitioner the number one way to get to the root of this dilemma is by listening full heartedly to the patient.   My spirituality is about a six out of ten because I pray at least once a day.  Reading the bible and attending church would help significantly.  Being winter I stopped running and pretty much have not been active except for shoveling.  I would rate myself at a seven since my job keeps me walking a lot.  My mental health is at an eight for the season I believe it would be better if I could see some sunshine. 
My goal for being physical is to stay active, while it is cold outside I have chosen to do P90X.  For psychological it would be to complete my love and kindness exercise so that my mind can be relieved of that days burden.  Finding a church would be the main focal point for my spirituality because it makes me feel closer in my spiritual belief when I can be held accountable by my Christian brother and sisters.  These are my goals to reach the maximum level in each area for my health and wellness as a whole. 
To implement the physical part of the body a mix of P90X and yoga for three days out of the week is what I do.  I will foster growth in my spirituality by using the meeting Asclepius as a guide to strengthen my soul for ten minutes every day.  Then talk to people I know in order to find a good church.  Followed by continuous prayer and reading the scripture in the morning when I have awoken.  Love and kindness brings me happiness when I use it as an exercise.  Therefore using it after a long day of work will help to set my mind at ease.  By using the subtle mind process it becomes easier for the mind to focus instead of trying to stray away.  In this process it focuses on; the witnessing mind, calm abiding, and unity consciousness.  With these three concepts being experienced through the subtle mind exercise it can assure our psychospiritual flourishing will thrive.
By keeping myself committed for six months I must have some tools.  First I will turn the alarm on in my phone to remind myself to exercise, have quiet time for the love and kindness exercise, and also the meeting Asclepius.  Then I will keep a journal in order to keep track of my progress.  The last thing is to inform my husband of what I am doing so that he can encourage me to stay on track.  For long term I plan to set this plan in motion for the next six months and then continue the journal and phone alarm so when I get busy I will not avoid my duties of health and wellness to myself.

Dacher, E. (2006). Integral health: The path to human flourishing. Laguna Beach, CA: Basic
Health Publications, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment